First officially recorded in 1180, but most probably earlier than that date, this small St. John's in Town church is set within the structure of the ancient Villa - Dorf settlement. The original Romanesque layout was partially modified in the 14th century.
From the Via dei Bottai and then in the Via Cavour turning left after 200 m into vicolo San Giovanni, stays the church St. John's in Town.
This very pretty little church has a single nave with barrel vault ceiling. It houses precious frescoes of the "Trecento".
The apse was frescoed in 1330 - 1335 while the frescoes adorning the vault ceiling (Maiestas Domini) and the nave (Lives of Saint John the Baptist and Saint John the Evangelist) were painted in about 1365 by two artists (First and Second Master of San Giovanni in Villa) in the style of the Padua painter Guariento.
The church is usually not visitable in the inside.